How is Empliciti used?
Empliciti (elotuzumab, Bristol-Myers Squibb/AbbVie) is a monoclonal antibody. It is approved for use in combination with Revlimid® (lenalidomide, Celgene) and dexamethasone for the treatment of patients with multiple myeloma who have received one to three prior therapies.
What types of patients may benefit from Empliciti?
In clinical trials, Empliciti in combination with Revlimid and dexamethasone was shown to be effective in:
- Both younger and older patients
- Patients who have received one to three prior therapies
- Patients who have received more than three prior therapies (heavily pretreated)
- Patients who previously received high-dose chemotherapy and stem cell transplant
- Patients with high-risk genetic features
- Patients with reduced kidney function (renal impairment)
How does Empliciti work?
Empliciti binds to the SLAMF7 protein, also known as CS1, expressed on myeloma cells. Empliciti directly activates immune cells known as Natural Killer (NK) cells and, by binding to SLAMF7, facilitates NK-mediated killing of myeloma cells.