Managing Your Fundraising
Setting Up A Donation Page
The fastest, easiest way to raise money for the MMRF Team for Cures is to set up a personal donation page.
When you sign up to join our team, you either login on your event’s team page or register for one. Once your registration is complete, you will receive a donation page confirmation via email. Your donation page is turn-key ready, and will automatically contain basic information about the MMRF.
The most successful fundraising pages are the ones that have been personalized. To personalize your donation page, simply log on to your account by going via the event’s page link (visit www.themmrf.org/teamforcures to find your event). Once you log in, click on the link in the top right of the page that says “Participant Center”. Then, look for the link at the right of the page that says “Edit Personal Page”. There you can customize your title and body, which is what your page visitors will see when they come to donate to your campaign. You can also upload a photo or video, personalize your page URL, and set or change your fundraising goal.
Having trouble with your donation page?
We want to make this easy for you. We don’t want you to spend lots of time if you are having trouble setting up your page or uploading a photo. If you run into trouble:
CONTACT THE MMRF
Send an email outlining your issue to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you tell us in that email what the problem is, outline what changes you want to make or how we can help, we can usually get that fixed for you quickly. We want you to spend your time sending out fundraising emails, training, and getting on with the rest of your life, not fumbling with a website you might be having trouble with. Once your page is set, you are good to go, so let us help you.
What to do with the cash and checks that you have collected?
Please follow the protocol below to make sure that your account is credited for checks and cash donations!
- Checks should be made out to: The MMRF.
- Be sure to include the name of the event and the team member name on the check’s memo line so that your donation will be recorded correctly. For Example: John Smith, New York City Marathon.
- Please note that all donors who pay by check will always receive a thank you letter documenting the tax deductible contribution for any donation over $25.
- Cash donations should be converted to check form, since cash should not be sent directly in the mail. If a donor gives you cash, simply deposit it to your bank account and send a check from your account following the directions above. Include with your check a short note that tells us the name and address of the donor so that we can provide the thank you note documenting their tax deductible contribution to that donor.
- Please send collected checks to:
Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation MMRF Endurance Events
383 Main Avenue, 5th Floor
Norwalk, CT 06851
Attn: Endurance Events
IMPORTANT: Please add the check and cash donation amounts to your online.
Here is all you need to do: Log on to your Team for Cures account. Once you log in, click on the “Participant Center” at the top of the page. Then click on the tab “Enter New Gift”. Here you can manually add the checks and cash that you have collected so that your total funds raised will be reflected on your personal donation page.
If you get stuck, contact your team manager at email@example.com.
How do “Company Matching” programs work?
Many companies offer a Matching Gifts program, whereby employers match contributions made by employees. This is a BENEFIT for the employees. Be sure to use it. (Note that the match is made by the company that your DONOR works for, not your company.)
The MMRF has a quick and easy tool to help determine which employers have Matching Gifts programs. Check out our Matching Gifts Search tool:
CLICK HERE for the Matching Gift Database
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not see the company you are looking for on the list, call their Human Resources Department. The database is sensitive to exact wording, and the database may not be totally up-to-date. So, if you have a few donors from one company, it doesn’t hurt to call the HR Department to double check.
Once you get the information, here is all you have to do:
- Have employee fill out the Matching Gift form from their employer. This is often a form which is submitted online through the company’s intranet. Sometimes the site leads them to a downloadable form that they can print out, fill in and fax back. Or, it may be a form that is obtained through the employee’s HR department, filled out and faxed/sent to your team manager. The fax number to send the form is (203) 966-8381.
- After completing the form, the donor should get a confirmation email or letter. Just forward the confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will take care of it from there.
- Once we receive the confirmation, we will credit those funds to your donation page. (Note that the credit is made before the funds arrive – that often takes months – and that your company does not post those funds on your donation page – we do. We simply give you an online ‘credit’ once we have seen that the funds have been successfully requested.)
Tips to Maximize Matching Gifts Contributions:
- Check the MMRF Matching Gifts Database whenever you receive a donation. If you find that the donor’s employer is one that has a Matching Gifts program, copy the information on your findings and send it to your donor when you send them a thank you email.
- Important: When you send the letter to your donor, be sure to mention the date and amount of the donation. This is information that will be asked of the employee, so the easier you make it for them to fill out the form, the more success you will have!
- If you receive a donation from a couple, and one of them works for a company that matches and the other does not, they can still submit a matching gifts request to the company that does match.
Sample Email for Matching Gifts:
“Dear Tom, Thank you so much for your generous donation of $100 to my NYC Marathon fundraising campaign for the MMRF. It means a lot to me since my father is battling multiple myeloma and the MMRF is doing so much to advance critical treatments.
Did you know that your employer, Goldman Sachs, has a matching gifts program? They will match your donation dollar for dollar if you complete the form below and send me a confirmation! That’s all you have to do! Here is the information:
Company: Goldman Sachs Global Securities Services
Subsidiary of: Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
Foundation #: 4040000
Last Updated: 2011/12/28
Contact: Debra Shipman
Phone: (877) 298-2635
Matching Gift Form URL: http://forms.matchinggifts.com/GoldmanSachs.pdf
Minimum amount matched: $50.00
Maximum amount matched: $20,000.00
Total per employee: $20,000.00
Gift ratio: 1:1
Thanks again for your donation. I hope you will take a minute to submit the matching gift request and forward the confirmation to me so that I can get closer to achieving my fundraising goal of $4,000!”